corinthia-dev mailing list archives

From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <>
Subject RE: [Corintha] What Development Platform ?
Date Sat, 17 Jan 2015 04:35:59 GMT
I think development systems are going to be relative to whatever platform you are using as
a host for Android development.

Is that what you are asking for?  What platforms will Android development be supported on?

I know that the current code can build with Microsoft Visual Studio, when targeted to win32x86.
 That's not quite the same as saying development is done with Visual Studio.  This has to
do with CMake being used as a cross-platform build generator, so the Visual Studio solution
and projects are generated by CMake.  Of course any Windows-located IDE can be used to edit
the individual source-code files.  (I use jEdit myself.  I could just as easily use the Visual
Studio IDE, especially if I want to rely on its Git integration.)

I also see that Visual Studio 2015 provides emulators and tools for Android and iOS.  They
use Apache Cordova to make portable apps for the different mobile and tablet apps.  It appears
that these are all HTML5 + CSS + JavaScript flavors.

I don't know how the Corinthia Editor is built.  I thought it was to all be HTML + CSS + JavaScript
and I don't know whether any "native" libraries, such as some flavor of DocFormats, is also
expected to be accessible somewhere.

Steve can probably give more than these superficial details.

 - Dennis

-----Original Message-----
From: []
Sent: Friday, January 16, 2015 20:06
Subject: Re: [Corintha] What Development Platform ?

Is there any discussion on what IDE tools will be supported?  This
determines the family of development configuration files and packaging
platforms to be maintained by project committers.  Related to the decision
is the number of programmers that are comfortable using the IDE tools.

Google Android has two IDEs,  Eclipse and Android Studio.  Both support
the Android SDK.  The Eclipse IDE is being deprecated in preference to
Android Studio for development of Android Applications.  Information about
Android Studio indicates that the platform embraces the Apache License 2.

With my current employment, I have no opportunity to create applications
for the smart phones and tablets.

I don't have a platform with the 16GB of recommended RAM to run the
android simulator developer tool.

Steven J. Hathaway

> (apologies if this is a duplicate; I got a bounce notification when
> accidentally sending from my gmail address)
> Currently it supports Linux, Windows, OS X, and iOS.
> I’d like to see Android support, and I don’t think this will be very
> difficult - given that Android itself is based on Linux.
> The high-level APIs in iOS are all Objective C (and now Swift), but plain
> libraries written in C can be used as well (DocFormats is written in C).
> Actually given that Objective C is a superset of C, it’s quite easy to
> intermix the two languages. For portability reasons we’ve stuck with C,
> but the Objective C code in UX Write (my own iOS app) calls through to the
> APIs directly, given the ability to mix the languages. iOS is Unix
> underneath, so the library uses POSIX APIs in many places.
> For Android, the NDK (native development kit) can be used to compile
> native libraries. To use these from Java code, it’s necessary to use JNI
> (java native interface) to interface between the two languages, which
> requires the development of wrapper functions. The public API exposed by
> the library (which is still undecided at present) is fairly small, so we
> won’t need to write a lot of code to enable it to be integrated into
> Android apps.
> The editor itself is written in JavaScript, and can run in a web view (or
> theoretically a browser, though it needs some fixes for this first).
> —
> Dr Peter M. Kelly
> PGP key: <>
>> On 11 Jan 2015, at 10:23 am, wrote:
>> Has the set of development platforms been chosen for Corinthia software
>> development?
>> I have been reviewing development platforms for Google Android and Apple
>> IOS operating systems.
>> Creating iPad and iPod applications for Apple IOS, a Makintosh platform
>> is
>> required.  The native coding is done with Objective-C.
>> Creating Google Android applications, the programming language preferred
>> is Java.  The Apache-Ant platform is being replaced by the Android
>> Studio.
>> Both appear to claim adherence to the Apache License version 2.
>> I was at the ApacheCon EU 2014 and introduced to some of the Corinthia
>> work.
>> Steven J. Hathaway
>> <shathaway@a.o>

View raw message