corinthia-dev mailing list archives

From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamil...@acm.org>
Subject RE: Coding Standards page
Date Tue, 06 Jan 2015 20:48:18 GMT

 -- replying below to --
From: jan i [mailto:jani@apache.org]
Sent: Tuesday, January 6, 2015 11:38
To: dev@corinthia.incubator.apache.org
Subject: Re: Coding Standards page

On Tuesday, January 6, 2015, Peter Kelly <pmkelly@apache.org> wrote:

> > On 7 Jan 2015, at 1:26 am, Dennis E. Hamilton <dennis.hamilton@acm.org
> <javascript:;>> wrote:
[ ... ]
> > I notice that the requirement for Unix line endings is not included, nor
> is there information on how to control that when working with the
> repository.
>
> Yes - we need to state this and also explain how this can be enforced with
> a git configuration option (something I haven’t had a chance to look into
> yet).

This is not really coding standard but git usage, but its ok for me if we
mix it all.

<orcmid>
   Well, the problem is we can't just tell everyone they have to use Unix
   Newline codes and not use CR-LF.  First, it makes no sense if they are
   operating on Windows, and it only matters for code that is exchanged
   via the repo. (It matters for patches too, but my brain just exploded.)

   That means we need to explain how to ensure that only Unix Newline codes
   end up in the repository, which is where it matters.

   I did find out where in GitHub there is information about this.  Here it
   is again:

    The line-ending does have controls in SVN and Git configurations.
    So long as a file is known to be text, there are controls in place.
    Here is GitHub on the subject,
       <https://help.github.com/articles/dealing-with-line-endings/>.

    Note that it is very important to be certain that Git knows what files
    *not* to make these adjustments on, since it will damage binaries too
    when they are not excluded from treatment as text.  I don't know how
    much this impacts PGP-signed material.

    I suggest the .gitattributes approach be set up in the Corinthia
    repository with text=auto and the indicated examples.  After that is
    done, those of us using Windows may need to re-clone the repository
    to have everything in sync.

   PS: I have no idea how line ends show up in the batch scripts I
   put on the repository.  They work fine for me, of course.
</orcmid>

[ ... ]