corinthia-dev mailing list archives

From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamil...@acm.org>
Subject RE: Keeping an Eye on Microsoft: Microsoft Office 2016 and Universal
Date Thu, 22 Jan 2015 21:21:08 GMT
This from Microsoft-watcher Mary Jo Foley,
<http://www.zdnet.com/article/microsoft-office-universal-to-be-free-on-windows-10-phones-small-tablets/>.

Important Confirmation: The Universal Forms of Microsoft Office Windows 10, the touch-first
versions (only for Outlook, Word, PowerPoint, and Excel), will be available on all forms of
Windows 10 (Windows Phone, Windows Tablets, and Laptops/Desktops with or without touch) and
at least Android in some form.  It will be wild to also be able to manipulate those applications
in the air via the "holographic" visualizations, although I don't think that is the driving
appeal for the HoloLens product, although this kind of visual collaboration may have more
take-up once this kind of capability becomes more of a commodity.  That may happen much more
rapidly than it looks from now.

Previews of the Universal Office apps will be available in February and we can see more of
how those will be working, especially the level of format-feature fit.  It is not known what
the tie-in to Office 365 subscriptions will be for full functionality of these and with respect
to which platforms.

There is also going to be Office 2016.  The full-featured Desktop office for Windows and Office
365 will be available some time in 2H2015 and preview prospects are not known at this time.
 There is a private beta that I have no information on.

MY TAKEAWAY
  1. This ecosystem is obviously important both for mindshare and a source of power users
and developers.  How that is bridged from a mainly-*nix orientation to developer project remains
to be navigated.

  2. ODF is an important albeit limited differentiator here.  The bar is going to be set as
far as Office-format interoperability is concerned and now the issue is the quality of transposition
to ODF and the level of interoperability with ODF across the three major supporting products
(Microsoft Office, Apache OpenOffice, and LibreOffice).

For me, because ODF is at the center of my itches about these projects, I believe the profiling
work that is part of the Corinthia scope is very important and needs to be of highly-reusable
professional quality.  That's painful work, and finding the kind of super-users who take to
it will also be a challenge.  Addressing interoperability around ODF and ODF-OOXML means giving
up a bunch of political folklore and posturing that does not go well if one wants to serve
the largest body of users out there.  There is also going to have to be better expectation-setting
with users while also earning their respect for the care for them being demonstrated.

This could also be an useful area for collaboration among interested parties involved with
any of the key products.  I think there is mutual interest in ODF users being served consistently
and with clarity on the mutual and Office-related interoperability considerations.

 - Dennis