corinthia-dev mailing list archives

From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <hims...@orcmid.com>
Subject RE: ASF Notices on Project Source Code
Date Thu, 08 Jan 2015 16:58:08 GMT
@Peter: It has to be a copyright holder or their agent.  I think that means you [;<).

The specific text is at item (2) on <http://www.apache.org/legal/src-headers.html>
Under "Source File Headers for Code Developed at the ASF."  These need to be in a
comment appropriate to the type of file the notice is placed at the top of.

Note that there will be no Copyright notice, just the text notice specified by the
ASF.  Also, Copyright notices from third parties are not to be altered.  I don't
think there are any of those, except in externals, but if they are, they need to
be identified and treated differently.

Here's a version I found in a .sh file that also works elsewhere that this comment
form is allowed:

#**************************************************************
#
#  Licensed to the Apache Software Foundation (ASF) under one
#  or more contributor license agreements.  See the NOTICE file
#  distributed with this work for additional information
#  regarding copyright ownership.  The ASF licenses this file
#  to you under the Apache License, Version 2.0 (the
#  "License"); you may not use this file except in compliance
#  with the License.  You may obtain a copy of the License at
#
#    http://www.apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0
#
#  Unless required by applicable law or agreed to in writing,
#  software distributed under the License is distributed on an
#  "AS IS" BASIS, WITHOUT WARRANTIES OR CONDITIONS OF ANY
#  KIND, either express or implied.  See the License for the
#  specific language governing permissions and limitations
#  under the License.
#
#**************************************************************

Here's a version I found on an .hxx file that works anywhere that
the C Language comment structure works (including Java, etc.),

 *
[...]

I'd say either of these works just fine where they are valid
comments.

I don't know about the "//" comment form.  It appears that the
RAT analyzer may have problem with some of these and it is
important to ensure that a RAT scan will not be derailed.
Since these have no copyright notices, it should not matter
though.