corinthia-dev mailing list archives

From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <>
Subject RE: Defining the Stable Kernel
Date Thu, 01 Jan 2015 23:32:27 GMT

 -- replying below to --
From: jan i []
Sent: Thursday, January 1, 2015 13:23
To:; Dennis Hamilton
Subject: Re: Defining the Stable Kernel

[ ... ]

Let me tell how I see it:

If we start from the outside and dive into the project.

then the highest level is the consumers, they are applications that uses
the DocFormat library
below consumers we have the DocFormat library with a to be defined API ,
The library itself contains at top level of the different filters
Each filter convert to/from our internal format (which there has been
discussion in here to change).

In order for filters not to (mis)use internal functions, the core should
provide a API (to be defined).

core + platform is the "kernel" which offers services to the filters and
DocFormat API.

  OK, so exactly what is platform and what is core?
  Is this specifically about the core/ and platform/ directories of the
  repository.  Does it include the api/ folder as well?

  I notice that platform/ has 3rdparty/ and also one src/ file each for
  Apple, Linux, Unix, Win32, and Wrapper.  So these get picked out
  depending on what one is compiling for?

Right now our consumer, filters make calls deep within core, and use all
structures directly. As long as peter did all the coding, that was a very
efficient way of doing it, but as we get more people on board, we need
abstraction layers. A core API + structures, is such an abstraction.

Hope that clarifies things a bit, but bear in mind you can see the
structure in visual studio, but at lot of the abstraction has not been
discussed yet and far less  implemented.

  You lost me about seeing structure in "visual studio."

jan i.

View raw message