corinthia-dev mailing list archives

From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <>
Subject RE: Visual Studio Solutions (was RE: platform with minzip, commit or not commit.)
Date Thu, 01 Jan 2015 22:31:58 GMT
 -- replying below to --
From: jan i []
Sent: Thursday, January 1, 2015 13:06
To:; Dennis Hamilton
Subject: Re: Visual Studio Solutions (was RE: platform with minzip, commit or not commit.)

On 1 January 2015 at 20:31, Dennis E. Hamilton <>

> Do we know of any ASF Project that includes Visual Studio artifacts in its
> source-code tree?  If someone has managed it, we need to find out what they
> do and how they satisfy the strict rules about what Apache Project Releases
> are.
At the moment I dont know other projects, except that in AOO we have run
experiments how to do this (capstone branch).

But since it is XML files, there are no problem seen from the bylaws of
Apache, that is something I checked last year before starting the capstone
project in AOO.

  As long as the binary files that are automatically placed in
  solutions/project directories .sdf and .suo are in .gitignore,
  that could work.

  I also think it is messy if the source code is mingled in the
  solution/project directories.  As well as I can tell from the
  student work, there was a lot of copying back and forth.  I
  have not broken the code on that.  I do know the solutions
  don't work if opened where they are on the capstone branch.

  Also, because I opened one solution in a later version of
  Visual Studio than it was created with, the .vcxproj file
  was changed, so I had to revert it to prevent my checkout
  of the SVN being marked as having commits to be made.

  Oh my, and cygWin .sh scripts.  Ah well.

[ ... ]

View raw message