corinthia-dev mailing list archives

From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamil...@acm.org>
Subject RE: change if wiki ?
Date Sun, 18 Jan 2015 16:45:39 GMT
1. Replacing the Confluence Wiki

We know what wiki we would prefer (Wikimedia) but there are constraints on supporting it that
Corinthia is probably not equipped to satisfy.

With regard to the MoinMoin wiki that is also supported at ASF, the problem seems to be one
of responsiveness.  It has the advantage that one can prepare text off line and one can rescue
the wikiText form of content if ever needed.

My concern for the current wiki is it appears to be totally captive and anything committed
to it lies in that embrace forever.  (The export functions are to limited forms and it is
not clear they are a good way to produce content while working off-line.)

2. Continuing to Use Confluence

Confluence authoring is apparently required to be in a browser (or via the REST API, which
is too much of a reach).  I would love to find out that is not the case, but I have failed
to determine what the plaintext form of text submission is, and the help button is not useful
in knowing otherwise. It appears from the documentation that the canonical form of the content
is XML and can be used to backup and restore pages.

I guess this means proceed at your own risk.

3. Cutting the Knot?

So I started using the JIRA as a way to capture ideas and notes until there is better understanding
of Atlassian Confluence and the Gliffy Confluence Plugin.  As far as I am concerned, Confluence
is a CMS, it is highly captive and it is not like any wiki I have ever seen.

I think we should tilt to using the web site more and the wiki less.

I do see that one can presumably use Confluence as a blog in some manner.  (Unfortunately
they no longer except XML-RPC from blog authoring tools.)  That might be worth considering
for simple content.

 - Dennis