corinthia-dev mailing list archives

From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <>
Subject Cloud and Device Office Productivity Offerings
Date Tue, 20 Jan 2015 16:40:24 GMT
I just saw this comparison on ZDNet: <>.

That led me to look into WPS Office.  It is cross-platform and apparently focused on interoperability
with Microsoft Office binary formats (.doc, .ppt, and .xls although I see that OOXML and PDF
are also supported in current releases) although it has its own proprietary format.  It is
already internationalized: <> (demonstrating my favorite second
language).  The software is produced by Zhuhai Kingsoft Office Software Co., Ltd. in China
and appears to be very suitable in the China-Japan-Korea sphere, having arisen from Chinese-language
word-processing software originally introduced on DOS in 1988 (and unrelated to Microsoft
Works), <>.

There is a Linux version, but it is not moving along very quickly it seems, although Android
and iOS are featured.  There is no version for my Kindle model so I must make do taking the
Windows desktop version for test drives.

Why is this interesting?

 1. It demonstrates how rapidly productivity applications, and interoperable ones, are moving
into the devices and cloud space.

 2. It gives us a benchmark with regard to the level of interoperability that might be important
for the conversion capabilities of Corinthia to achieve.  I think that matters for Corinthia
to provide an appealing open-source contribution that is usable in the devices and cloud space.
 It indicates what the level of expectation in the various ecosystems is going to be.

 3. It also helps us look at exactly what is it that differentiates Corinthia apart from being
an Apache Project.  What itch are we scratching and how does that relate to what our public
will be and how they are served.

I don't have answers about this.  I think the questions are useful.

 -- Dennis E. Hamilton    +1-206-779-9430  PGP F96E 89FF D456 628A
    X.509 certs used and requested for signed e-mail

View raw message