corinthia-dev mailing list archives

From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamil...@acm.org>
Subject RE: svn commit: r1649986 - /incubator/corinthia/www/index.html
Date Wed, 07 Jan 2015 16:44:31 GMT
I apologize for the line-ending issue.  I knew about it and then forgot
to see if my current SVN configuration needs to be changed.  It does.

 -- replies inline to --
From: Andrea Pescetti [mailto:pescetti@apache.org]
Sent: Wednesday, January 7, 2015 04:15
To: dev@corinthia.incubator.apache.org
Subject: Re: svn commit: r1649986 - /incubator/corinthia/www/index.html

On 07/01/2015 jan i wrote:

> - Why only change one file, this effect is on all pages.

This is correct, but maybe the problem is with repeating the same footer
across all pages by copy-paste. Anyway yes, it's surely better to
enforce consistency of the footer if we have no technology to include it
automatically (but at the very least I expect that SSI is enabled).

<orcmid>
  Yes, the footer is apparently copy-pasted to all pages.  I fixed only
  the main page because I wanted to see it working properly and I hoped
  someone could tell me a better way to do it.
</orcmid>

> - What is the urgency, that needed a "brute force fix" instead of doing it
> correct

Actually this is kind of the right way to do it. I mean:
- Changing the Foundation files is a no-go. You want to be able to
update to a newer version of the framework. So what Dennis thought to be
the "right way" is not the right way at all: Foundation files are to be
considered read-only.
- Overriding default settings with a custom CSS file loaded after the
default ones is what you should do and what I recommend as a good
practice, even though I never played with Foundation.
- Missing that, inline styles are an acceptable trade-off.

<orcmid>
  I had no intention of changing foundation files.  By right way I meant
  finding out whatever foundation provides that will handle this case.
  I could not find a clue by scanning through those mind-numbing CSS
  Files so I did something different that did not touch the foundation files.
  I also notice that our site does not follow the foundation recommendation to
  have an app.cs file for site-specific customizations so I assume there are
  none.
</orcmid>

> It breaks the responsive design.

No it doesn't, since it does not make changes that are relevant for the
box model. This is true of this particular case only, of course.

<orcmid>
  It appears to be the case that line-height adjustment has no effect
  on small form factors, and I have no idea why.

By the way, I started fixing it yesterday but then saw Dorte's mail and
stopped. Anyway, if you modify line 83 at the link above from
you solve the margin problem Dennis was unhappy with. But I didn't have
time to check whether this is semantically the best solution.

Regards,
   Andrea.