corinthia-dev mailing list archives

From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamil...@acm.org>
Subject RE: Cloud and Device Office Productivity Offerings
Date Wed, 21 Jan 2015 15:55:24 GMT
I installed the 30-day trial of WPS Office on a Windows 10 Technical Preview (apparently to
have a significant update announcement in a couple of hours).

It is very impressive.  The desktop UI is very clean and, while it is unique, there is a great
deal of familiarity.  It was enough for me to wonder if it is a derivative of AOO, but I think
not.  For one, the only formats supported are its native WPS, which I haven't explored, and
all of the well-known Microsoft Office formats for text, presentation, and spreadsheet, both
OOXML (aka, Office 2007-2010 .DOCX, .PPTX, and .XSLX) and the .DOC, .PPT, and .XSL (aka Office
97-2003 or -XP).  When you open any of the three apps the first thing you see is a large spread
of available template icons.  The available forums and other support arrangements seem pretty
appealing.  I have no sense of the level of traffic or quality of user-provided support.

The program has a small footprint and seems very clean.  Startup is snappy too.  I've done
nothing to check on format fidelity and interoperability.

It's pretty clear that the target market is the CJK area and North America, and perhaps other
locations outside of Europe where ODF support is pretty much a required check-off item or
where users don't care, they want Office interoperability more than anything else.  I should

After the 30-day trial, the app will reduce to a free-to-play basic version or can be converted
to a subscription model.  This will put it head-to-head with Office 365, and WPS does provide
their own cloud storage support.  I used it with OneDrive instead, and that worked just fine
too.  I should see how well the .docx I made opens with the Microsoft Office Word Web App.