corinthia-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Kelly <pmke...@apache.org>
Subject Re: IRC Channel Usage (was RE: Apache Corinthia website is up and running)
Date Tue, 23 Dec 2014 16:58:14 GMT
I too prefer asynchronous communication. I often find being available online all day a distraction,
esp. when i’m trying to concentrate on certain things (Corinthia related or otherwise) -
the saying goes that every interruption costs 15 minutes of productivity, or something like
that.

I’m often on Skype (id: pmkelly2) when I’m not doing anything that requires intense concentration,
but I’m not enthusiastic about having to keep an IRC channel open, and I even close my email
usually when I’m working.

Having said that, I try to respond to (important) messages reasonably quickly. And I’m happy
to come on IRC (or any other real-time communication mechanism) at pre-arranged times for
meetings - in fact I think these are quite valuable. Perhaps we could organise a google hangout
every fortnight or so.

—
Dr Peter M. Kelly
pmkelly@apache.org

> On 23 Dec 2014, at 11:51 pm, Dennis E. Hamilton <orcmid@apache.org> wrote:
>
> Concerning the desirability of maintaining an open IRC channel.
>
> My cyber-worklife is organized around e-mail and asynchronous communication over mailing
lists, blogs, and wikis.  I do not keep any messaging application open on my desktop and definitely
not on mobile devices.  (I'm not really a "phone person" and use SMS as much as voice.)

> I use Skype and Google Hangout+ for text/tele/video-conferencing.  These are mainly scheduled
events, not spontaneous and not for Apache Project purposes.

> I do have some regularly scheduled teleconferences, but I have ceased participating on
ones that, because of their international character, are at times that work badly for someone
whose civil time is at UTC-0800 and whose working language is under the handicap of native
en-US.

> I'm not objecting to the use of IRC.  It is simply not anything I partake in.
>
> I am also wary of IRC on a podling, and certainly among PPMC members, until the process
of working in public is well-established.  I have no opinion on its use for personal communications
among project members.