corinthia-dev mailing list archives

From jan i <j...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Enabling Git Mirror (was RE: Subscribed)
Date Wed, 17 Dec 2014 21:57:33 GMT
On Wednesday, December 17, 2014, Andrea Pescetti <pescetti@apache.org>
wrote:

> Dennis E. Hamilton wrote:
>
>> I had no trouble making a clone and having both branches.  Either
>> way, let's see if the presence of this master allows the mirror to be
>> created.
>>

> Hi, I've been here from the beginning but I never had the time to
> introduce myself (and this counts as an introduction: done!).
>
> When I saw Peter was going to recreate the repository, I wanted to ask him
> to remove incorrect attribution that I may have done on the pre-incubation
> Github project... Peter was faster than me, but from the log it seems that
> everything is fine, thank you!
>
> Coming to the topic and trying not to be too late for once: I would
> recommend another option. There are broken tools around that will only
> count commits on the master branch: a "fake" master branch will result in
> Corinthia to appear inactive. I would suggest "master" as the development
> branch; if not, using it for stable is fine, but living without master (or
> worse, with a fake master as it is now) will cause problems with the many
> external tools that assume there is a master branch.

thanks for the introduction, and thanks for being here. You are absolutely
spot on time !

You have some very serious arguments why we should keep master alive, which
I admit I never thought about. I would be happy to have master == develop,
and keep stable as we defined it.

@peter, you suggested not to use master, what is your opinion ?

as a little funny thing it seems the asf git bridge is one of the broken
tools, cloning worked as soon as we added a master branch.

@andrea I know you are pressed for time, which makes your mail even more
important to me, looking forward to see you in FOSDEM. Do you know when the
talks will be accepted/rejected ?

rgds
jan i