corinthia-dev mailing list archives

From jan i <j...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Corinthia Versioning Scheme
Date Sat, 20 Dec 2014 20:23:43 GMT
HI.

I think you raise a very important point, with implications that are all
too often forgotten. Thanks for taking the initative.

I am a simply guy, and like to keep things simple, therefore I am all for
the good old x.y.z scheme. I especially dont like the - prefix, as it
implies we could have a special release for a given platform.

We have to remember that in Apache, the only release that counts is the
source release ! any binary that we make available is not a release
artifact, but a convenience for our end-users.

Without having really counted, my feeling is that 2/3 of the projects only
release source. We should also provide both library and editor on different
platforms, but as a compiled version of the release...not as a release in
itself.

It would really be beneficial to use jira track in which version which
bug/enhancement is destined for (or solved in). I have seen a couple of
other projects, where the release notes is a long list of solved jira
issues. Jira has a text field for release, which I as admin should be able
to prefill (make a combobox).

@Dennis, may I suggest you write a suggestion out of this discussion, and
we put it up on our wiki (yes yes it is soon 24december).

rgds
jan i.