corinthia-dev mailing list archives

From jan i <j...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Anybody who know how to write .cmd or .bat files for windows ?
Date Wed, 31 Dec 2014 17:21:32 GMT
On 31 December 2014 at 17:32, Dennis E. Hamilton <dennis.hamilton@acm.org>
wrote:

> -1 on using a prepackaged combination of the dependencies.
>
> It is only simpler locally, not globally.
>
> That is just moving the pea, and it means there is now an external
> activity that committers must understand and someone has to maintain when
> there are updates, security patches, etc., to the dependencies.  It also
> raises provenance issues.  (I note that none of the sources have hashes or
> signatures already, or else I missed them, and they include a variety of
> .exe files.)
>
> If we are concerned about obsolescence or inaccessibility of the sources,
> there might need to be a backup arrangement.  That might be a better use of
> Apache Extras.

May I say in a positive tone, I really hope to meet you in person at ACNA.
You have a way of expressing the small undefinable worries in my stomach.

A -1 with a good reason, calls for a discussion !!! so let me try to break
this down into a couple of questions:
(feel free to flame me, it I got it wrong).

Assumption: we want windows developer to have an easy start with corinthia,
and we dont want people to install things like cygwin.

Questions:
- Dennis already made a .bat to download the original source (which I
clearly prefer), can we make the extraction as a .bat also (from what I
understand it is doable, but need to be adjusted if we upgrade) ?
- What is the back side of having to simple .bat scripts ?
- Products like Cygwin, have scared AOO developers, so I dont want we
depend on such products, do we agree on this ?
  (Windows developers in general only like visual studio, and maybe a
couple of external libs)
- Is this a temporary situation or will we always need external libraries ?
- Peter made a suggestion, can we somehow learn from that, if we cannot
make a .bat for extraction.

rgds
jan i