corinthia-dev mailing list archives

From jan i <j...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] White-Box Releases Only
Date Mon, 22 Dec 2014 08:32:59 GMT
On Monday, December 22, 2014, Andrea Pescetti <pescetti@apache.org> wrote:

> On 21/12/2014 Louis Suárez-Potts wrote:
>
>> Why? I mean, what would be gained in this case? AOO is a strong
>> enduser application. Corinthia is not. AOO has the history of being
>> a replacement for Microsoft Office and is a suite. Corinthia is
>> neither. Confusing the two even with the best of intentions and with
>> the best strategic goals can do both harm.
>>

> I tend to agree with Louis. Also, the Corinthia brand is not exactly
> strong at the moment. When it comes up in the first page of search results
> for "Corinthia", it will start to be relevant. And from there it will have
> to become the first result and be palatable to scammers before any
> brand-protecting activity is needed.

+1

> I surely see value in discussing this is both places, I don't see it
> urgent for Corinthia. OpenOffice has the concept of "Product", so it could
> be as easy as setting a build option. Corinthia could start by introducing
> that notion (you probably changed it already with last month's rename! It's
> the same, just made configurable at build time).

AOO will most likely have to change something in the sources, Corinthia can
benefit from that knowledge by not building it (not sure what "it" is
specifically) into the source.

I hope long term corinthia also get a product, but The product discussion
is a bit early.......as we say in denmark, lets crawl before we walk and
think about running.

rgds
jan i