corinthia-dev mailing list archives

From jan i <j...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Apache Corinthia website is up and running
Date Tue, 23 Dec 2014 11:14:30 GMT
On 23 December 2014 at 11:58, Daniel Gruno <humbedooh@apache.org> wrote:

> On 2014-12-23 11:55, jan i wrote:
>
>> On 23 December 2014 at 11:31, Daniel Gruno <humbedooh@apache.org> wrote:
>>
>>  +0:
>>> Please put the logo proposal in a separate thread, it's quite an
>>> important
>>> matter and should not be hidden inside a web site thread.
>>>
>>>  I have no problem with a separate thread, but to me, website/fb/twitter
>> and
>> Logo are tightly connected. If the logo changes (apart from stylish
>> changes) the main picture should also change.
>>
> They are, but only the logo is a trademark issue, and thus it needs a
> separate thread.

Trademarks issues is a whole different discussion, where we have to start
with a name search (see status page) to get the name accepted, it does not
seem correct to have the logo accepted before the name.

There has been some debate on general@i.a.o when it is appropriate for a
podling to start discussing trademarks, and to me it seemed to be something
to be done when we are close to graduating.

The owl is hand drawn by dorte, based on a photo taken and modified by
dorte, so seen from that point there are no conflicts in terms of
trademarks....it is of course a different matter whether or not the
community like it.

but as I just wrote in a separate mail, if you or others feel it should be
discussed separately it is not a problem for me.

>> So you can say we have 2 discussions in this thread. The general
>> layout/content of web/fb/twitter (menus, responsive design etc), and the
>> graphical layout (logo and pictures).
>>

>>  As for comments; I like the overall idea, but the logo itself is a bit
>>> blurry/grainy, especially at a low resolution.
>>> If we could stylize it as a vector image, it would be much better. If
>>> Dorte does not have the time for this, I'd gladly look into doing it.
>>>
>>>  Dorte tried something like that, but did not like it. Feel free to play
>> around with it. The idea was to give the impression of a hand drawn owl
>> (which it really is) instead of a machine made perfect owl.
>>
> Is there a place where I can get the original own image? in high
> resolution?

The original OWL image is the background picture. Dorte printed that out on
a big paper...put a transparent paper above it, and draw the logo, so it
has the exact same form as as the owl on the picture, then she did a lot of
magic with it in her graphic programs.

I have not checked what dorte committed to the site, but if she has
something of higher resolution, then I will ask her to mail it (and also
make sure it is somewhere in our repo).

rgds
jan i.