corinthia-dev mailing list archives

From jan i <j...@apache.org>
Subject Re: MiniZIp/tidy-html Dependency (was RE: External libraries on windows)
Date Sun, 28 Dec 2014 17:42:13 GMT
On 28 December 2014 at 18:02, Dennis E. Hamilton <dennis.hamilton@acm.org>
wrote:

> Regarding externals, I don't understand what the licensing problems with
> MiniZip and tidy-html are assumed to be.
>
> There is no licensing problem with appropriate derivatives of those
> sources in our code base.  The licenses are MIT/BSD-like and all we have to
> do is honor and preserve them and the copyright notices.

To me the license problems start with  the modifications, which are
relatively undocumented and detecting which license they are made under is
a challenge.

> We do need to scrub out the MiniZip crypto provisions since they are not
> used in document formats and they are cryptographically suspect anyhow.
> That is not difficult.

That is the second problem. I have never said any of this is difficult but
simply things to do.

> There are other appropriate MiniZip changes as well, including updating of
> links in the code to material that is no longer at the indicated locations
> or that may not be the best authoritative sources.
>
> I do recommend going to the later version of MiniZip that supports 64-bit
> sizes though.  And then looking into the zlib dependency.

I looked at that, and to me it looks just as easy to choose another
package, because we have to identify and redo all the changes.

We use only a fraction of what even minizip can, so there is also a small
question about why so much for so little. My aim would be to find a library
which we as an external library without source.

rgds
jan i.