corinthia-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Kelly <kelly...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Subscribed
Date Wed, 17 Dec 2014 15:54:11 GMT
> On 17 Dec 2014, at 10:07 pm, jan i <jani@apache.org> wrote:
>
> On Wednesday, December 17, 2014, Peter Kelly <pmkelly@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> The actual URL is
>> https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator-corinthia.git <
>> https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator-corinthia.git>
>>
>> If you do a direct clone of this right now it will give you an error about
>> ‘no branch’. We have two - stable and develop. You can check out as follows:
>

> is that a problem just now  or something I should talk to infra about ?

I’m not sure if there’s a way to set the default branch on a remote repository from the
client side. Github has an option where you can set this, as do some other git hosting services.

However I don’t thinks it’s strictly necessary that we have a default branch set, and
in fact not doing so forces people to explicitly state whether they want to be on the development
or stable branch. Thus in the instructions we should tell people to issue one of the following
commands:

git clone -b develop https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator-corinthia.git
git clone -b stable https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator-corinthia.git

There’s pros and cons to making one of the the default. We don’t want people committing
to stable directly once we have the build bot up and running, however someone completely new
to the code who just wants to try it out is likely to be best of using the stable branch,
as that is guaranteed to build & work. If their purpose instead is to commit, they should
check out develop.

It’s only an issue the very first time a given person starts working with the repo however,
since it is easy to switch between the branches with ‘git checkout’ after the clone.

--
Dr. Peter M. Kelly
kellypmk@gmail.com