corinthia-dev mailing list archives

From Louis Suárez-Potts <lui...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] committers == PPMC
Date Sat, 20 Dec 2014 14:38:24 GMT

> On 20 Dec 2014, at 00:02, Peter Kelly <pmkelly@apache.org> wrote:
>
> Well as someone new to Apache I’m still not yet entirely sure of the rationale between
having a distinction between the two :)

Depending on the nature of the project and what is wanted the two can be identical or not.
Duh. (Not unlike principles of agile development.) Usually, social, and also code government—bureaucracy
and the differences it imposes—becomes important as more people and code (as in modules
expressing different intentionalities and evidencing diverging styles) intervene in the project.
At that point, we can articulate the distinctions and codify them. Usually, “that point”
is reached when someone demands it. The there is discussion, which can be mercifully brief,
and so on.

But until then, why make a distinction?

> I think for a small project like Corinthia is right now, it makes sense to have Committer
== PPMC. We want to build up the project community, and I see welcoming people and being inclusive
as being important pre-requisites to that.

> If and when (hopefully when) the project gets larger and moves into a TLP, it may be
appropriate to have only a subset of participants on the PPC, depending on the number of committers
and their level of involvement with the project. As an open source project, I think we should
try to be as open and democratic as possible, and I’m in favour of using private lists only
where absolutely necessary.

> I propose that during the incubation period, we have Committer == PPMC, and then we revisit
this discussion if & when we prepare to become a TLP.

Yes; had I bothered to read Peter’s point, before I inflated myself and then shared with
others a lot of tepid air, I’d have seen he anticipated me. :-) But I would still keep it
as flexible and basically anarchic as feasible. (Anarchic doesn’t mean, “do as you like,”
which is just solipsism run amok. It means, rather, something closer to a direct democracy
predicated on merit, where “merit” is proved by code and other relevant works others can
use. Fwiw, David Graeber, the great contemporary anarchist, has a new book on bureaucracy,
a field I studied early in graduate school and of which I’m particularly fond.)

louis