corinthia-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Kelly <>
Subject Re: @peter, commits
Date Fri, 19 Dec 2014 16:59:49 GMT
> On 19 Dec 2014, at 11:04 pm, jan i <> wrote:
> On 19 December 2014 at 16:31, Peter Kelly <> wrote:
>>> On 19 Dec 2014, at 10:26 pm, jan i <> wrote:
>>> Hi
>>> You are really springing ahead of us all, but it is nice to see changes
>> so
>>> no complains.
>>> Would you consider updating stable when you have a break in your
>> changes, I
>>> would prefer stable to be close to master.
>> Totally agree, and I’m already doing this; given that each requires a
>> separate push though you may see a short delay between master being updated
>> and stable being updated.
>> As a general practice, until we get the buildbot going, I intend to
>> continue updating both at (almost) the same time, given that I always
>> compile on all platforms + run the tests before all my commits.
> +1 ... in the new year I might ping you for a vm image, so that I can test
> on mac too.

Now that you’ve got an imac in the house, the setup is pretty easy to do natively - I walk
you through the steps if you like. And I think you’ll like Xcode.

>> BTW the changes you saw just now are not actually that big; it’s mostly
>> just a one line change in each of about 1,200 test files which makes for a
>> fairly large diff ;)
> heh, not everything is what is seems to be.

I’m mostly done cleaning up the test harness, which was admittedly somewhat of a mess until
now. There’s provision for both ‘plain’ tests (which take no input data and just do
stuff to see if it works), and ‘data’ tests (which is what we have currently with all
the .test files). The main remaining thing I need to do is move across the test harness code
from dfutil to dftest.

The organisation of the testing architecture is preliminary, and something you and others
might like to have a look at and offer suggestions. Unfortunately I haven’t had a change
to document much of anything yet and explain how many parts of this and the library come about,
but that’s my next priority after test harness cleanup and will hopefully spur some discussion
on any changes/improvements.

> Is platform/3rdparty now so stable again, that I can start developing there
> ? my wife kids come over for christmas, so I need something non-social to
> do.

I noticed you mentioned something about replacing minizip - this is probably a nice place
to start getting back into things. I’m not sure what other libraries out there which are
Apache project-compatible (license wise), but I would be surprised if there wasn’t something
in use by one or more other projects that we can import.

Alternatively we could write our own implementation which fits in better with our own API
(see DFStorage.h/.c, which all access to zip files in the library go through). The zip file
format doesn’t seem to be very complicated (minizip is < 2,500 lines of code). Perhaps
a nice middle ground would be to adapt some code from an existing Apache project.

Dr Peter M. Kelly

PGP key: <>