corinthia-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Kelly <>
Subject Re: External libraries on windows
Date Sun, 28 Dec 2014 13:22:37 GMT
> On 28 Dec 2014, at 8:17 pm, jan i <> wrote:
> On 28 December 2014 at 14:11, Peter Kelly <> wrote:
>> For OS X and Linux, external libraries used by Corinthia are fairly easily
>> installed through package manages (e.g. apt-get on Ubuntu, homebrew on OS
>> X). For windows however, someone who wants to build the project must first
>> go through a manual process of downloading various zip files, extracting
>> them into the right locations etc.
>> To make it easier, I suggest that we host a copy of the libraries
>> necessary to build on Windows on the Corinthia website. I can put together
>> the directory structure and provide these as a zip file that someone can
>> just download and extract to the right location. I think this would make
>> development on windows a lot easier to begin for newcomers.
>> Any objections to this?
> I agree to the purpose, but we need to be very careful here, because Apache
> cannot be seen as distributing these libraries, due to licensing.

Yeah I thought that might be an issue.

> I assume, that if we on the page write the original URLs, and that the zip
> is only provided for convinience, it is ok.
> Can you please make a text files with the exact URLs when you make the zip
> (I assume you make the zip so it its directly in external).

What I’m thinking of is providing both of the following:

1. A shell script (bash) which downloads and extracts the zip files, and moves everything
into its proper location. If possible I’d like to do this with a windows batch file, but
that might not be viable given the lack things like unzip and wget on most windows installations.

2. Instructions on how to manually do what the script does, for those who do not have access
to a Unix system or find it otherwise inconvenient to use the shell script.

Another possibility is for me to host the files on a subdomain of <>,
in much the same way as binaries for the libraries are hosted by others in various locations.
That way it’s not an official Apache thing but at least we can have a URL we can point people
at which has exactly the files we want.

Dr Peter M. Kelly

PGP key: <>