corinthia-dev mailing list archives

From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <>
Subject RE: Anybody who know how to write .cmd or .bat files for windows ?
Date Wed, 31 Dec 2014 00:11:41 GMT
OK, let's not get ahead of ourselves here.

 -- replying below to --
From: Peter Kelly []
Sent: Tuesday, December 30, 2014 15:15
Subject: Re: Anybody who know how to write .cmd or .bat files for windows ?

> On 31 Dec 2014, at 4:08 am, jan i <> wrote:
> Hi
> Peter made 2 excellent scripts in external, to retrieve and populate
> external.
> The idea is brilliant but the are .sh files (requiring bash) so the users
> need cygwin or similar installed, that is a dependency I would NOT like to
> have.
> I thought the scripts was very simply and easy to convert to .cmd files,
> but my command line dos knowledge is somewhat (read: a lot) rusty.
> Could one of you with windows systems, please have a look at the scripts
> and create a "pure" windows variant ?

One of the difficulties here is you need both an external program to retrieve files via HTTP/FTP
(the scripts use wget) and to unzip the files. I don’t think either are available on windows.

  Windows comes with a command-line ftp utility, and it will also work from
  a list of files to download.

  Zip is also built into Windows - it automatically treats zip files as
  subdirectories.  I am not certain there is a command-line way to
  do an extract however, but 7-zip could be used for that.

  The advantage of using a Windows .bat file is that nothing but existing
  tools are required and there is no need for users to do much.

  I found a .cmd on StackExchange that does unzipping.  Still looking for
  something simpler.

  I suppose we can assume that Visual Studio is installed?  That increases
  the available tools.

  Also, the Windows Scripting Host is available, and it runs Jscript and

An alternative may be a Python script; functions for doing these are available in the standard

Windows PowerShell may have these capabilities, but I’m not familiar with it.

Dr Peter M. Kelly

PGP key: <>