corinthia-dev mailing list archives

From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamil...@acm.org>
Subject RE: [DISCUSS] committers == PPMC
Date Sat, 20 Dec 2014 01:33:04 GMT

From: Andrea Pescetti [mailto:pescetti@apache.org]
Sent: Friday, December 19, 2014 16:01
To: dev@corinthia.incubator.apache.org
Subject: Re: [DISCUSS] committers == PPMC

jan i wrote:
[ ... ]
> Example (another project): In budapest we were 6 people gathered around a
> table discussion the future of the project. 3 PMC, 1 committer (but ASF
> member) and 2 committers.....We had to stop the discussion several times,
> due to the fact "oooh this happened on the private list", I still wonder
> how the 2 committers felt...I know I would have felt being held out.

A complex example. It refers to the biggest project at Apache in terms
of number of committers (it's called OpenOffice, for those who don't
know it). And we had to stop the discussion many more times to explain
things that had been posted to PUBLIC lists but that nobody had read...
The two projects are too different to compare (by the way, OpenOffice
used "committer==PPMC member" during incubation, if I recall correctly;
but if I do not recall correctly, this is still a different project!).

<orcnote>
    Andrea recalls correctly.  You can see the list of *86* initial
    committers, all of whom were automatically invited to be PPMC
    members (and were all self-selected) at
    <http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/OpenOfficeProposal>.  As
    graduation approached, PPMC invitation was a bit
    more selective.  Some initial committers declined to complete
    the formalities for establishing an Apache ID, others, including
    ones invited after formation of the project, declined to be on
    the PPMC.  There are currently 26 members of the AOO PMC, with
    over 140 committers (not all active, but still ...).
</orcnote>

Regards,
   Andrea.