corinthia-dev mailing list archives

From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamil...@acm.org>
Subject RE: Building on Windows (was RE: Anybody who know how to write .cmd or .bat files for windows ?)
Date Wed, 31 Dec 2014 22:25:52 GMT

 -- replying below to --
From: Dennis E. Hamilton [mailto:dennis.hamilton@acm.org]
Sent: Wednesday, December 31, 2014 11:41
To: dev@corinthia.incubator.apache.org
Subject: Building on Windows (was RE: Anybody who know how to write .cmd or .bat files for
windows ?)

  -- replying below to --
From: jan i [mailto:jani@apache.org]
Sent: Wednesday, December 31, 2014 09:22
To: dev@corinthia.incubator.apache.org; Dennis Hamilton
Subject: Re: Anybody who know how to write .cmd or .bat files for windows ?

[ ... ]

Assumption: we want windows developer to have an easy start with corinthia,
and we dont want people to install things like cygwin.

<orcmid>
   I think it is more that we don't want Cygwin *required* to build on
   Windows.  I just used MSYS2 to run the batch script this way:

   orcmid@Astraendo2 /d/Apache/corinthia/git/incubator-corinthia
   $ ./external/fetch_downloads.bat
   "zlib128-dll.zip"
   "iconv-1.9.2.win32.zip"
   "libxml2-2.7.8.win32.zip"
   "SDL2-devel-2.0.3-VC.zip"
   "SDL2_image-devel-2.0.0-VC.zip"

   orcmid@Astraendo2 /d/Apache/corinthia/git/incubator-corinthia
   $

   I don't know if Cygwin will do the same.  A shame if not.
   Notice that differences in file-system path approaches are
   avoided by no parameters into fetch_downloads.bat, and everything
   internal to the batch file operates in the native Windows view.
</orcmid>

<orcmid new-reply>
   I just confirmed that fetch_downloads.bat works fine on Windows 10
   Technical Preview, and it works fine under Cygwin too.
</orcmid>

Questions:
- Dennis already made a .bat to download the original source (which I
clearly prefer), can we make the extraction as a .bat also (from what I
understand it is doable, but need to be adjusted if we upgrade) ?

<orcmid>
   Yes, I believe the extraction can be done using batch scripts
   too.  I assume anything we have might need to be adjusted on
   upgrades, even the fetch procedures.
     I am investigating whether I can have the extraction done
   without any new tool requirement.  If not, it will be necessary
   to have a Windows version of 7zip or unzip installed.  Stay
   tuned.
</orcmid>

- What is the back side of having to simple .bat scripts ?
- Products like Cygwin, have scared AOO developers, so I dont want we
depend on such products, do we agree on this ?
  (Windows developers in general only like visual studio, and maybe a
couple of external libs)

<orcmid>
    We haven't dealt with compiling and building yet.  There is more
    to figure out for that. I think it should be viewed as independent
    of the fetching and extraction of external dependencies though.
</orcmid>

- Is this a temporary situation or will we always need external libraries ?
- Peter made a suggestion, can we somehow learn from that, if we cannot
make a .bat for extraction.

<orcmid>
   Um, Peter's suggestion involves fetching a .zip, so we are back to the
   previously-unsolved problem.  My objection is not about downloading
   Zips, but where they come from and who builds them.
</orcmid>

rgds
jan i