corinthia-dev mailing list archives

From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamil...@acm.org>
Subject [DISCUSS] Wiki Authorization Policy
Date Thu, 25 Dec 2014 20:11:55 GMT
I notice there tend to be two flavors of wiki on ASF project,

 1. Wikis that are limited to project committers (so pretty much as closely-held as the web
site)

 2. Wikis that are writable by anyone who sets up an account and then request write and editing
permission from the project.  (This is different than a level of administrative access that
allows granting of such accounts.)

In the past there were fully-open Wikis, but it was discovered that lead to adulteration by
spam and make curation too difficult.  So, instead, the fully-open Wikis, such as the AOO
Community Wiki, were changed to provide authorization only upon request to the dev list.

I favor (2) as a way to encourage community-participation.  There are many fully capable to
contribute valuable content on wikis and forums and who do not have project-developer ambitions.
 I prefer to see that kind of contribution encouraged.  Although Corinthia is looking more
to tool-building than end-user interests, it still strikes me that having the wiki as open
as practical is a good idea.

Has any thought been given to this already?  What are the views on this?