corinthia-dev mailing list archives

From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <>
Subject RE: MiniZIp/tidy-html Dependency (was RE: External libraries on windows)
Date Sun, 28 Dec 2014 18:03:53 GMT
 -- replying below to --
From: jan i []
Sent: Sunday, December 28, 2014 09:42
To:; Dennis Hamilton
Subject: Re: MiniZIp/tidy-html Dependency (was RE: External libraries on windows)

On 28 December 2014 at 18:02, Dennis E. Hamilton <>

> Regarding externals, I don't understand what the licensing problems with
> MiniZip and tidy-html are assumed to be.
> There is no licensing problem with appropriate derivatives of those
> sources in our code base.  The licenses are MIT/BSD-like and all we have to
> do is honor and preserve them and the copyright notices.

To me the license problems start with  the modifications, which are
relatively undocumented and detecting which license they are made under is
a challenge.

   Whose modifications are we talking about?  Ones made in the Corinthia
   code base after these externals were incorporated or ones from some
   other source?

   I would think the Corinthia-introduced changes are easy to recreate.

[ ... ]

> I do recommend going to the later version of MiniZip that supports 64-bit
> sizes though.  And then looking into the zlib dependency.
I looked at that, and to me it looks just as easy to choose another
package, because we have to identify and redo all the changes.

We use only a fraction of what even minizip can, so there is also a small
question about why so much for so little. My aim would be to find a library
which we as an external library without source.

   I think this is a choose your poison sort of thing.  If we use an
   external library without source, we are subject to whatever
   vulnerabilities arise in that dependency and have to stay on top
   of it (and pray that there is current, active maintenance).

   I would be surprised to find an external library that is actually
   lighter-weight and smaller [;<).

   If we make customizations for simplification and having an API that
   is suitable for Corinthia, starting with source is valuable.  If
   we find defects in the original, it is important to submit upstream
   patches of course.

   My first instinct is to think this is more in the spirit.  What
   consideration am I missing?

jan i.

>  - Dennis

View raw message