corinthia-dev mailing list archives

From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <>
Subject RE: [PROPOSAL] White-Box Releases Only
Date Sun, 21 Dec 2014 20:58:48 GMT

From: jan i []
Sent: Sunday, December 21, 2014 10:49
Subject: Re: [PROPOSAL] White-Box Releases Only

[ ... ]

Terminology is important here. We will only have source releases, but we
will have several convenience  binaries:
- dfformat library to be embedded in other projects
- dfconvert an appl to convert files
- dftest, is more internal
- editor which hopefully is the appl used most.

all these should be made available on all platforms we support.

I do however not see that as white box or black box, which are terms more
related to test.

    "White box" is also used to refer to generic branding, a movement
     that happened in US supermarkets at one time.  For example, the
     Firefox code is apparently white-boxed.

     I don't care what it is called, so long as there is no branding in
     the sources that enable knock-off apps, especially for the editor.
     Convenience binaries for end-user code should probably be branded
     for support differentiation as authentic to the Corinthia project.
     That would usually have them tied to a particular source release
     despite their being incidental platform-build differences.  The
     libraries should be distinguished appropriately although branding
     is not the issue as much as authenticity against source.

     I had forgotten about white-box testing as a term, even though I
     am acquainted with Mel Conway (whose introduction of "coroutine"
     is better known).

[ ... ]

View raw message