corinthia-dev mailing list archives

From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <>
Subject IRC Channel Usage (was RE: Apache Corinthia website is up and running)
Date Tue, 23 Dec 2014 16:51:26 GMT
Concerning the desirability of maintaining an open IRC channel.

My cyber-worklife is organized around e-mail and asynchronous communication over mailing lists,
blogs, and wikis.  I do not keep any messaging application open on my desktop and definitely
not on mobile devices.  (I'm not really a "phone person" and use SMS as much as voice.)

I use Skype and Google Hangout+ for text/tele/video-conferencing.  These are mainly scheduled
events, not spontaneous and not for Apache Project purposes.

I do have some regularly scheduled teleconferences, but I have ceased participating on ones
that, because of their international character, are at times that work badly for someone whose
civil time is at UTC-0800 and whose working language is under the handicap of native en-US.

I'm not objecting to the use of IRC.  It is simply not anything I partake in.

I am also wary of IRC on a podling, and certainly among PPMC members, until the process of
working in public is well-established.  I have no opinion on its use for personal communications
among project members.

 - Dennis

-----Original Message-----
From: jan i []
Sent: Tuesday, December 23, 2014 02:56
Subject: Re: Apache Corinthia website is up and running

On 23 December 2014 at 11:31, Daniel Gruno <> wrote:
[ ... ]
> Shouldn't we also put our IRC channel on the web site?

The IRC channel was a very fast decision. Not saying it was a bad decision,
it was not, but before promoting it, I would like  to hear more opinions.

I have no problem with having a IRC channel, provided someone is prepared
to hang in empty channel or non-responsive channel is for me not
a good sign.

Personally I use google hangout/skype/hipchat a lot more and do not have
IRC started 24/7. But that is just my view, how do the community feel ?

jan i.

[ ... ]

View raw message