corinthia-dev mailing list archives

From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <orc...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Logo Development (was RE: Apache Corinthia website is up and running)
Date Tue, 23 Dec 2014 15:43:01 GMT
Subdividing threads is common and easy and it is important when there is something substantial
that needs focus.

 -- comments below on --
From: jan i [mailto:jani@apache.org]
Sent: Tuesday, December 23, 2014 03:15
To: dev@corinthia.incubator.apache.org
Subject: Re: Apache Corinthia website is up and running

On 23 December 2014 at 11:58, Daniel Gruno <humbedooh@apache.org> wrote:

> On 2014-12-23 11:55, jan i wrote:
>
>> On 23 December 2014 at 11:31, Daniel Gruno <humbedooh@apache.org> wrote:
>>
>>  +0:
>>> Please put the logo proposal in a separate thread, it's quite an
>>> important
>>> matter and should not be hidden inside a web site thread.
>>>
>>>  I have no problem with a separate thread, but to me, website/fb/twitter
>> and
>> Logo are tightly connected. If the logo changes (apart from stylish
>> changes) the main picture should also change.

[ ... ]
> They are, but only the logo is a trademark issue, and thus it needs a
> separate thread.

Trademarks issues is a whole different discussion, where we have to start
with a name search (see status page) to get the name accepted, it does not
seem correct to have the logo accepted before the name.

There has been some debate on general@i.a.o when it is appropriate for a
podling to start discussing trademarks, and to me it seemed to be something
to be done when we are close to graduating.

The owl is hand drawn by dorte, based on a photo taken and modified by
dorte, so seen from that point there are no conflicts in terms of
trademarks....it is of course a different matter whether or not the
community like it.

but as I just wrote in a separate mail, if you or others feel it should be
discussed separately it is not a problem for me.

<orcmid>
   Do not confuse Copyright with Trademark.  That an image is the original
   work of someone does not prevent it from coming under trademark law.
   Trademark is similar to Patent in that respect, and in the US the
   administration of trademark registrations is under the same organization
   that deals with patents.

   The trademark status of the proposed name, "Apache Corinthia" and the use
   of an associated logo are somewhat orthogonal.

   For now, we can assess the design, its suitability for adaptation to
   various usages, and its appeal.  Let's look at how the logo stands on
   its own.

   Since we're talking about a visual symbol, a good place to do this is on
   the wiki, where images can be included.
</orcmid>

[ ... ]