corinthia-dev mailing list archives

From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamil...@acm.org>
Subject RE: What is missing in windows?
Date Sun, 21 Dec 2014 16:19:11 GMT
Jan asks,

    Can somebody with better knowledge than me please open a
    jira issue, and write down what we miss for windows.

    It compiles and  links on my machine, so I would have
    thought it works on windows ?

Top of head response (while today is devoted to some security issues):

The first thing to do is compile on Windows with full warnings.  Then we need to figure out
how to make them all go away without just ignoring them.  Also specify Standard C (that is,
disallow extensions in the build configuration).  Also, build Release versions, not Debug
versions if you are comfortable with that.  Don't use precompiled headers either way.  Umm,
also turn off creating PDB files.  (That takes a little more nosing around.)  Also build x86,
not x64 (or amd64) or any of those.

The other thing you can try is doing static bindings to the common C Language runtime.  This
avoids having to deal with the installing redistributables game but it might not be a good
long-term solution.

I assume you are using Visual Studio?  If you are using a gcc that is configured to produce
Windows Native code, there are probably yet other differences.  If you are using CMake and
praying that Windows natives build something that actually runs, I can only send you my prayers.

I am going to go through the externals one-by-one until I can get them each to work, but I
have no idea if there is a generic list.  It may end up being caught mostly in commit logs
[;<).  Well, at least at first.

 - Dennis

PS: Later versions of Visual Studio produce x86 binaries that by default won't even load on
Windows XP.  You'll get a complaint about the executable file format instead.  Watch out for
that too.  I haven't figured out how you get around that just yet.

PPS: If you are using a free (to ASF or academics) Visual Studio Universal, I suggest that
you revert to using either the Visual Studio 2013 Community Edition or Visual Studio 2013
Express for Desktop versions, so that other developers who are limited to free tools can be
able to build the code too.