cordova-issues mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From "robert-crowell-gdit (JIRA)" <j...@apache.org>
Subject [jira] [Commented] (CB-11753) Removal of Windows 8.0 code breaks some types of Windows 8.1 devices
Date Wed, 24 Aug 2016 15:26:20 GMT

    [ https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CB-11753?page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels:comment-tabpanel&focusedCommentId=15435102#comment-15435102
] 

robert-crowell-gdit commented on CB-11753:
------------------------------------------

1. I don't know how to "add the console log" to Visual Studio as you request, because I'm
not using Visual Studio like that. I'm using the Apache Cordova CLI as recommended on ( https://cordova.apache.org/docs/en/latest/guide/cli/index.html#build-the-app
), section to build my application with the following command  "cordova build windows -- --appx=8.1-win
--archs=x64".  Then I install it on the 8.1 Win Tablet to test it, when it attempts to check
for a network connection using the Apache Cordova network plugin ("cordova-plugin-network-information"),
in "NetworkInfoProxy.js" line 27  "var winNetConn = Windows.Networking.Connectivity;", it
blows up with "Windows is not defined"...  that led me to believe that the WinJS (the windows
object itself as my limited understanding of this is, Sorry.. I'm new) was not loaded properly..
 especially after seeing the navigator.appVersion string that I found prior.

Now, I must apologize, I may have made a serious mistake..  I was able to add a text field
to the front of my cordova application, and then use javascript to populate it with the the
line:  "$('#p1_app').val( navigator.appVersion );"   That method provides a DIFFERENT value
from previously reported value above that lacked the MSAppHost entry.  NOW, the code reports
this value!!..  

"5.0 (Windows NT 6.3; Win64; x64; Trident/7.0; .NET4.0E; .NET4.0C; .NET CLR 3.5.30729; .NET
CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 3.0.30729; Tablet PC 2.0; MSAppHost/2.0; rv:11.0) like Gecko", 

which I think is the one you wanted from Visual Studio, earlier...

I'm sorry, as you can see the "MSAppHost" entry *IS* in that string, but it wasn't when I
ran it prior from the WindowsApps directory / index.html file on the device itself to try
and discover my problem.  However that doesn't change the fact that it still appears that
WinJS isn't loaded correctly, since the network code still cannot use the "Windows" object..
  so, now I'm NOT sure what the problem actually is.    I guess, maybe, this problem should
instead be reported against the "cordova-plugin-network-information" plugin..   however, the
network code is reporting is that it's unable to use the "Windows.x" object on the Win8.1
build, which still makes me think it's a deeper problem than the network code itself.

2. This is a "side loaded" app, so the Windows store is not an issue. Due to security concerns,
I don't believe we will be allowed to use the Windows app store.

3. I'm very sorry for the confusion..    I don't know if the problem is in on Win 8.1,  platform.js
not loading WinJS properly, or an issue with "cordova-plugin-network-information" correctly
referencing the "Windows" object..     I just don't know.

Thank you.

> Removal of Windows 8.0 code breaks some types of Windows 8.1 devices
> --------------------------------------------------------------------
>
>                 Key: CB-11753
>                 URL: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CB-11753
>             Project: Apache Cordova
>          Issue Type: Bug
>      Security Level: Public(Anyone can view this level - this is the default.) 
>          Components: Windows
>    Affects Versions: 4.4.2
>         Environment: Windows 8.1 Pro Dell Tablet x64 bit
>            Reporter: robert-crowell-gdit
>            Assignee: Vladimir Kotikov
>            Priority: Critical
>              Labels: cordova, easyfix, triaged, windows
>
> In Apache Cordova (v6.3.1) WINDOWS platform code (v4.5.0-dev),  due to Issue CB-10480
( https://github.com/apache/cordova-windows/commit/d783f2073430492e59d99009b30411fb8e8e897a
) in platform.js  the final "else" clause was removed
> " // windows 8.0 + IE 10
>  -                scriptElem.src = "//Microsoft.WinJS.1.0/js/base.js";", since Windows
8.0 code was removed.
> Now, the Windows 8.1. Pro Dell Tablet I'm testing with (Internet Explorer 11), is reporting
the variable navigator.appVersion as "5.0 (Windows NT 6.3; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36
(KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/52.0.2743.116 Safari/537.36".   Due to that value, therefore Apache
Cordova will never load the WinJS stuff because it falls thru the logic entirely.. 
> The end results is that the application crashes when anything WinJS related is accessed
by code (when I try to do a network check, it will obviously fail), since WinJS never loaded
properly.
> Recommend having one basic final "else" clause that will either 1. Load a very basic
version to provide SOME functionality, or 2) Provide some form of loading error feedback.
 But that's just my own opinion..  
> Thanks for all the hard work and great software.



--
This message was sent by Atlassian JIRA
(v6.3.4#6332)

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: issues-unsubscribe@cordova.apache.org
For additional commands, e-mail: issues-help@cordova.apache.org


Mime
View raw message