cordova-dev mailing list archives

From Shazron <shaz...@gmail.com>
Subject [DISCUSS][DOCS] Revert a change
Date Wed, 13 Sep 2017 07:02:04 GMT
This relates solely to instructions on how to *build* the site, and not the
contents of the site itself.

Bringing this up here for discussion since a committer wants to revert a
change by another committer, and there is potential for disagreement.

The pull request to revert is here:
https://github.com/apache/cordova-docs/pull/729

There has been discussion on the original change here:
https://github.com/apache/cordova-docs/commit/96c5ab0f98c0b62160661dcd9a9db5549fe43f94

Two issues here:
1. The change from `gulp build --prod` to `npm run serve`
2. This instruction here (not reverted in the PR):
https://github.com/apache/cordova-docs/commit/d61f3ddc84dac4b013c0607230b9cf10921a416b

Issue (1) has some discussion in the GH link above for the original change.

Issue (2) there was some discussion in the Cordova Slack, that the reason
the `svn commit` wasn't there in the first place is to prevent copy/paste
of the commands without going through the changes step by step since
deploying to a site is an expensive operation that can screw up the site if
proper care was not done.

My reason for adding the command was that the instructions are not complete
(when I had to do it myself when updating the docs for cordova-ios
release). I understand the rationale, but the instructions seem incomplete
(especially for new committers that haven't heard of SVN, I know they can
Google it, but that's more friction) and my other reason is: we should
trust that committers will do the right thing.

Not to make a mountain out of a mole-hill but it's important that these
revert discussions be out in the open so as misunderstandings/hurt feelings
don't occur, and we can nip it in the bud.

Thoughts from the community?