cordova-dev mailing list archives

From Filip Maj <maj....@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS][DOCS] Revert a change
Date Wed, 13 Sep 2017 19:32:08 GMT
To be clear, we don't need to redesign anything to automate docs
deployment. It is in the realm of possibility to simply automate what
we have today. I just feel like what we have today is a design where
translations are an afterthought, which I think is a bad tradeoff,
especially given the popularity of cordova outside of english-speaking
countries. _IF_ we were to agree that a redesign is worthwhile, then I
would recommend we do that first before automating deployment. If the
PMC deems a redesign of the cordova-docs repo is not important, then
so be it, and we can automate what we have.

On Wed, Sep 13, 2017 at 12:09 PM, Dmitry Blotsky
<dmitry.blotsky@gmail.com> wrote:
> @fil: why is reworking the docs repo needed for automatic deployment?
>
> @steve: could you merge it then? I'm far too rusty on my Cordova-ing to remember how
to set up my remotes to push to the ASF repo, sorry. :(

> Kindly,
> Dmitry
>
>> On Sep 13, 2017, at 1:08 PM, Filip Maj <maj.fil@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> We have an issue posted to make docs publishing automatic:
>>
>> Not to derail the topic, but there is a longer wishlist in that issue,
>> and I do think achieving the goals in that issue would require
>> reworking the docs repository quite a bit. We can discuss details in
>> the issue thread.
>>
>> On Wed, Sep 13, 2017 at 9:47 AM, Dmitry Blotsky
>> <dmitry.blotsky@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Yes, ideally our deployment process should be automated. Also, it should *not*
be an SVN commit. It should be an rsync or an scp command. I would support any initiatives
to move to either one of those. If we had automated deployment, this discussion would be moot.

>>> How much would it cost us to just have a VPS with nginx?
>>>
>>> Switching to the topic of deployment docs now. Thanks, Shaz, for bringing this
up in discussion. My opinion was that we shouldn't have impactful commands be copy-paste-able,
which is why I had the instruction to commit in paragraph text. I think that if a committer
doesn't read the full text of the deployment docs, *they should not be deploying*. I can see
the argument that if they do read the text but just don't know *how* to commit in SVN, it's
annoying to search. However at the top of that section is an explicit link to a quick SVN
tutorial. I understand that not everyone reads the fine print, but IMO committers should,
and we should explicitly discourage that behaviour.

>>> Ultimately I'm going to defer to Shaz here, but I think it's important to consider
the benefits of making deployment *feel* more serious by making RTFD necessary.