cordova-dev mailing list archives

From Filip Maj <maj....@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS][DOCS] Revert a change
Date Wed, 13 Sep 2017 17:08:07 GMT
We have an issue posted to make docs publishing automatic:

Not to derail the topic, but there is a longer wishlist in that issue,
and I do think achieving the goals in that issue would require
reworking the docs repository quite a bit. We can discuss details in
the issue thread.

On Wed, Sep 13, 2017 at 9:47 AM, Dmitry Blotsky
<dmitry.blotsky@gmail.com> wrote:
> Yes, ideally our deployment process should be automated. Also, it should *not* be an
SVN commit. It should be an rsync or an scp command. I would support any initiatives to move
to either one of those. If we had automated deployment, this discussion would be moot.

> How much would it cost us to just have a VPS with nginx?
>
> Switching to the topic of deployment docs now. Thanks, Shaz, for bringing this up in
discussion. My opinion was that we shouldn't have impactful commands be copy-paste-able, which
is why I had the instruction to commit in paragraph text. I think that if a committer doesn't
read the full text of the deployment docs, *they should not be deploying*. I can see the argument
that if they do read the text but just don't know *how* to commit in SVN, it's annoying to
search. However at the top of that section is an explicit link to a quick SVN tutorial. I
understand that not everyone reads the fine print, but IMO committers should, and we should
explicitly discourage that behaviour.

> Ultimately I'm going to defer to Shaz here, but I think it's important to consider the
benefits of making deployment *feel* more serious by making RTFD necessary.

> Kindly,
> Dmitry
>
>> On Sep 13, 2017, at 6:30 AM, Jan Piotrowski <piotrowski@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> I am actually surprised deploying is a manual process at all.
>> Having read the steps, I understand why of course.
>>
>> As a person that jumps in on all kinds of projects, I absolutely
>> prefer docs that list each and every little step needed (including all
>> the `cd` etc).
>>
>> The need for manual steps or checks could be emphasized by using a
>> numbered list or checklist for the individual steps.
>>
>> (Will this stay on SVN even after the repo switch to Github? Merging
>> and `gh-pages` is so nice and simple)
>>
>> -J

>>> This relates solely to instructions on how to *build* the site, and not the
>>> contents of the site itself.
>>>
>>> Bringing this up here for discussion since a committer wants to revert a
>>> change by another committer, and there is potential for disagreement.
>>>
>>> The pull request to revert is here:
>>> https://github.com/apache/cordova-docs/pull/729
>>>
>>> There has been discussion on the original change here:
>>> https://github.com/apache/cordova-docs/commit/96c5ab0f98c0b62160661dcd9a9db5549fe43f94
>>>
>>> Two issues here:
>>> 1. The change from `gulp build --prod` to `npm run serve`
>>> 2. This instruction here (not reverted in the PR):