cordova-dev mailing list archives

From Dmitry Blotsky <dmitry.blot...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS][DOCS] Revert a change
Date Wed, 13 Sep 2017 19:09:06 GMT
@fil: why is reworking the docs repo needed for automatic deployment?

@steve: could you merge it then? I'm far too rusty on my Cordova-ing to remember how to set
up my remotes to push to the ASF repo, sorry. :(

Kindly,
Dmitry

> On Sep 13, 2017, at 1:08 PM, Filip Maj <maj.fil@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> We have an issue posted to make docs publishing automatic:
>
> Not to derail the topic, but there is a longer wishlist in that issue,
> and I do think achieving the goals in that issue would require
> reworking the docs repository quite a bit. We can discuss details in
> the issue thread.
>
> On Wed, Sep 13, 2017 at 9:47 AM, Dmitry Blotsky
> <dmitry.blotsky@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Yes, ideally our deployment process should be automated. Also, it should *not* be
an SVN commit. It should be an rsync or an scp command. I would support any initiatives to
move to either one of those. If we had automated deployment, this discussion would be moot.

>> How much would it cost us to just have a VPS with nginx?
>>
>> Switching to the topic of deployment docs now. Thanks, Shaz, for bringing this up
in discussion. My opinion was that we shouldn't have impactful commands be copy-paste-able,
which is why I had the instruction to commit in paragraph text. I think that if a committer
doesn't read the full text of the deployment docs, *they should not be deploying*. I can see
the argument that if they do read the text but just don't know *how* to commit in SVN, it's
annoying to search. However at the top of that section is an explicit link to a quick SVN
tutorial. I understand that not everyone reads the fine print, but IMO committers should,
and we should explicitly discourage that behaviour.

>> Ultimately I'm going to defer to Shaz here, but I think it's important to consider
the benefits of making deployment *feel* more serious by making RTFD necessary.