cordova-dev mailing list archives

From Jan Piotrowski <piotrow...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Moving JIRA issues to Github
Date Thu, 03 Aug 2017 11:30:06 GMT
> What about security issues?
> Right now on jira we have private security issues not visible for the regular people
and as far as I know, we can't do that on GitHub

Initial idea: Have an email address where people can send messages to,
the recipient then creates an issue on a private Github repo for
further talking about it.
You could probably also create a public form that does the same job of
the email address and person creating the ticket automatically if too
much effort and needed too often.
(But maybe there is a better solution, one could investigate how other
Github based projects do that)

-J

> What about security issues?

>> across the entire project to see if any may affect us. Is there going to be
>> a way to do this with Github? Subscribing to notifications could be a
>> work-around but it’s not ideal.
>> >
>> > Good question. I can't really think of a way to do this...
>>
>> Github doesn't offer this out of the box (besides watching all repos
>> yourself, which comes with its own challenges). But Github has an API,
>> I am pretty sure someone already wrote something that combines issues
>> of several repos into one interface to look at, then links to the
>> individual issues (If not, it wouldn't be too much work to create
>> something like that) (Could become the new issues.cordova.io maybe?).
>> Would this fulfill your use case?
>>
>> -J

>> their issues go?
>> >
>> > All repositories will be migrated.

>> > Can you give me an example?

>> > I think if you absolutely need issues related to multiple repos, you
>> > can always create multiple issues in all relevant repos and
>> > cross-reference them.

>> across the entire project to see if any may affect us. Is there going to be
>> a way to do this with Github? Subscribing to notifications could be a
>> work-around but it’s not ideal.
>> >
>> > Good question. I can't really think of a way to do this...

>> may not be answerable without trying it out, but making issues easier to
>> create issues could cause an influx of questions and non-cordova related
>> bugs. This could add on to the difficulties of triaging and migrating bugs
>> across repos.
>> >
>> > To be fair, we already get painful triage-work via GitHub just by
>> > opening up Pull Requests to the public. People will use those to post
>> > questions or issues, because they are unaware that there are other
>> > support and issue filing avenues (they will mask them as PRs merging a
>> > release branch into master). At least those people now have a more
>> > obvious place to file issues: the Issues section on GitHub. We already
>> > have a lot of triage work on JIRA as it is. I doubt this will go down.
>> > That said, I don't think that's necessarily bad. Will we have more
>> > work? Probably. Will we be able to more easily identify issues, and
>> > earlier, and generally be also more accessible to our community? I
>> > would think yes. Double-edged sword. I say let's see how it goes.

>> up?
>> >
>> > They would end up in GitHub, at which point we'd triage them within
>> GitHub.

>> both Jira and Github Issues for a period of time?
>> >
>> > Yes.
>> >
>> > Different topic: Shaz, based on your INFRA ticket / phase breakdown,
>> > the implication is that there will be leftover cordova repos in Apache
>> > Git (cordova-medic, weinre, deprecated platforms / plugins). What do
> [...]
Github