cordova-dev mailing list archives

From Jan Piotrowski <piotrow...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Moving JIRA issues to Github
Date Wed, 02 Aug 2017 23:07:49 GMT
If people post their issue at the wrong repo (which of course can and
will happen from time to time), there is a way to move them over with
minimal loss of information:

https://github.com/ionic-team/ionic/issues/12542
https://github.com/ionic-team/ionic-cli/issues/2597

This works for issues where several people replied already in the
exact same way:

https://github.com/ionic-team/ionic/issues/11898
https://github.com/ionic-team/ionic-cli/issues/2386

As the original poster of the issue and each reply is @-mentioned they
are notified about the "new" issue and can continue participating.
Replying users also can just include the @username in their new
replies again to make sure people get notified.

-J

> I think the ease of use of GitHub issues overcomes potential problems
> about cross-referencing issues. Worth noting on this topic that GitHub
> already provides good support for referencing pull requests from
> issues across repos / orgs.
>
> The benefit of having issues and PRs in one place, to me, is a benefit
> too tasty to pass up.
>
> Darryl, do you have examples of issues that you think could be
> problematic in a GitHub-based world?
>
> On Wed, Aug 2, 2017 at 12:43 PM, Darryl Pogue <darryl@dpogue.ca> wrote:
>> My concern with GitHub issues is that we have a tonne of repos and issues
>> can easily span across them, and we'd lose the one central place for issue
>> tracking and triage. I worry that we'd be inundated with issues on the
>> wrong repos, or without additional information, and triaging would become
>> an insurmountable chore leading to a worse backlog than we already have in
>> JIRA.
>>
>> On 2 August 2017 at 12:38, Shazron <shazron@apache.org> wrote:
>>
>>> Phase 1 of our move to Github is complete, see:
>>>     https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INFRA-14347
>>>
>>> We need a migration plan for moving JIRA issues to Github Issues before we
>>> enable Github Issues on those repos.
>>>
>>> Once we figure those out, we can proceed with Phase 2:
>>>     https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INFRA-14398
>>>
>>> I'll start it off by saying that ideally we:
>>> 1. Triage issues
>>> 2. Automate migration of existing open issues to Github issues