cordova-dev mailing list archives

From Filip Maj <maj....@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Accepting new apps into the App Showcase
Date Tue, 25 Jul 2017 17:36:27 GMT
I'm of the opinion that we, the cordova devs are already sinking under
the amount of incoming PRs and TODOs just with maintaining the
tooling, platforms, plugins, and docs.

I think it would be better to turf it and let downstream projects do
that stuff if they wish. I think PhoneGap has one, so does ionic.

On Tue, Jul 25, 2017 at 9:58 AM, Kerri Shotts <kerrishotts@gmail.com> wrote:
> If we’re going to have an apps section on the website, it would be good to keep it
updated. For example, the ReactEurope app goes to a 404 page. Buildr navigates to an iTunes
page that is not available in the US region, so doesn’t tell me anything (would be better
to link to a website instead).

> Personally, it might be better just to drop the section entirely, since it will require
maintenance, would end up with some subjective criteria (leading to “why them and not us?”),
and would need to be rotated as new apps are added to prevent a huge list of apps on the front
page. I like the idea, but maybe it would be better to have a Cordova App gallery (akin to
Plugin search, cocoapods, etc.)… but that could easily be done by the community, since we’re
tight on resources as it is.

> That said, if we’re going to accept apps, we need some (reasonable) criteria for acceptance,
along with the proviso that we won’t necessarily always feature the app (since we don’t
want to end up featuring 1000 apps on the front page).

> Some starting criteria:
>
> * Should currently be available for sale/download on the appropriate app stores.
> * The product needs to have a website where we can link (redirecting into iTunes is not
ideal).
> * The product should fit with Cordova’s CoC, since it’s being featured on the front
page.
> * The app itself should:
>     * be visually appealing and well designed (this is subjective, but no getting around
that…)
>     * actually work (this would require someone downloading & testing it. Paid apps
would need to supply a review copy for free.)
>     * be performant (no jank, quick response to user input, etc.)
>     * be in production (not just a demo app)
>     * be more than just wrapping a remote website
> * Plusses for (but not required):
>     * Available source code (so others can learn from the app)
>     * Multiple platform support
>     * Free or usable trial version so that users can get a good feel for a performant
Cordova app