cordova-dev mailing list archives

From Filip Maj <maj....@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [Android] Let's drop support for Jellybean
Date Mon, 12 Jun 2017 15:22:50 GMT
Reviving this thread! Sorry for the late reply.

Regarding Trevor's question:
> Just for consideration however, what do we actually gain by dropping
> official support? Are there compat libraries or tests we can drop after
> this?

>From a testing/CI perspective, it becomes much more tenable to keep up
with pull requests and ensure changes are validated on the platforms
we support. We currently leverage Sauce Labs to run tests on emulators
on Android, and Sauce dropped support for all Android versions up to
and including 4.3 [1]. So, from a selfish perspective, as a cordova
dev, dropping 4.3 and below support makes _my_ life easier as I don't
have to manually test on earlier versions of Android.

Not sure if there are other, less-selfish reasons? Ping Simon + Joe.

Also, instead of letting this thread die a quiet death, may I suggest
that whatever decision is made here, we file as issues and chalk up
for the next cordova-android major release?

[1] https://wiki.saucelabs.com/display/DOCS/2017/03/30/EOL+for+Android+4.0%2C+4.1%2C+4.2%2C+and+4.3+Automated+Mobile+App+Testing