cordova-dev mailing list archives

From Simon MacDonald <>
Subject Re: [CORE PLUGINS] Expansion of features needs to be discussed in dev@
Date Tue, 25 Apr 2017 20:22:06 GMT
Hey Shazon,

I agree with this goal. Our plugins were based upon W3C standards as
they existed when the plugins were created. The standards have moved
on and we haven't had as much time as we would like to stay in sync. A
number of core plugins have been superseded by API's already available
in browsers (I'm looking at you, cordova-plugin-device-motion).

Changes to any of the core plugins should align themselves with W3C
specs so we can increase code reuse across platforms and decrease our
support and maintenance costs.

Simon Mac Donald

On Tue, Apr 25, 2017 at 4:07 PM, Shazron <> wrote:
> Resources are limited and we can barely keep up with all the core plugin
> work that needs to be done, so we have to have a process with dealing with
> desired features that community members send out as PRs.
> Firstly I want to acknowledge that external contributions are valued highly
> by the team, but they need to fulfill Cordova's goals and not be a
> maintenance burden on the project.
> Core plugins should conform to standards whenever possible, and we should
> not add new features nor expand existing features without a consensus on
> dev@
> I will be putting out another thread where I will propose a concrete
> roadmap for the existing core plugins -- listing those that will make the
> maintenance cut, and/or listing those that are scheduled for sunset. So put
> your two cents there.

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message