cordova-dev mailing list archives

From Corinne <corinnekr...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Update iOS Embedded WebView docs for Carthage
Date Fri, 24 Mar 2017 07:46:47 GMT

Sent from my iPhone

> On 24 Mar 2017, at 01:11, Shazron <shazron@apache.org> wrote:
>
> Yes for plugins we have to use plugman.
>
> Why Carthage and not CocoaPods?
>
> Firstly I like that Carthage is not opinionated like CocoaPods -- you have
> to have a Podfile, podspec, etc, and it creates a workspace that you *have*
> to use. I was working on the goal for users to "easily add Cordova to an
> existing project" -- thus Carthage wins hands down (it builds the
> framework, you add it in, you're done). Granted, Carthage is for iOS 8+
> only but that is our deployment target anyway.
>
> CocoaPods is pretty heavy and I didn't like the hundreds of megabytes (half
> gig?) you need to download before you can use it -- and I feel that
> Carthage is the way of the future anyway (although CocoaPods is great for
> discovery I suppose). Not to mention potential CocoaPods
> Ruby/Gems/dependency hell.

Mmm... difficult to predict the future but I'll bet on Swift package manager (once it's got
a proper iOS support)

> I realize that if users need plugins they will have to install CocoaPods
> anyway if the plugins require CocoaPods (but that is outside the scope of
> embedding Cordova). I don't want users to go through that hell
> pre-emptively just to embed Cordova.

The doc starts with "This guide shows how to embed a Cordova-enabled WebView component within
a larger iOS application."
If the app is large chances are that it already use CocoaPods.

What about a foc with 2 methods and let the use puck either Carthage or CocoaPods?