cordova-dev mailing list archives

From Filip Maj <>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] EOL cordova-medic
Date Mon, 12 Dec 2016 22:03:07 GMT
On Mon, Dec 12, 2016 at 1:46 PM, Jesse <> wrote:
> What would be the added responsibilities for cordova-paramedic?

Good question. As far as I can tell, I believe paramedic would need to
additionally house the helper JSON files containing configuration that
one passes into paramedic - basically replacing the various flags one
can run paramedic with with a single one pointing to a file instead.

In particular, the Jenkins configs that the cloudapp CI uses that it
feeds into paramedic [1] - including the "local" ones used for local
testing [2], which seem particularly relevant to paramedic's mission.
This would save our Jenkins instance from pulling the medic repo down,
speeding up test execution (it seems silly to clone a whole repo just
to pull a few JSON files out!).

So right now, when I want to run paramedic locally, I invoke something like:

    $ node cordova-paramedic/main.js --platform android --plugin
./cordova-plugin-contacts --verbose --cleanUpAfterRun

I can reduce on the flags passed in by pointing paramedic to the
afore-mentioned local configs, but, these currently exist in the medic
repo. So I've actually been running paramedic recently like so:

    $ node cordova-paramedic/main.js --plugin
./cordova-plugin-contacts --config

The above incantation is also how our cloudapp CI invokes paramedic:
by pointing it to a config file (it points it to a "non-local" config
file, e.g. [3]).

In effect, it is just shuffling around code from one repo to the
other, but the benefits we get are:
 - save compute within our CI
 - all testing-relevant configurations will exist in one repo, not two
 - we can remove the medic repo along with its code duplication of paramedic

The cons, as far as I can tell, are:
 - there will be a new 'config' top-level directory

Let me know how that sounds and what else I've missed.

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message