cordova-dev mailing list archives

From Kerri Shotts <kerrisho...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: CB-9963 iOS uuid should remain even after uninstall
Date Wed, 24 Aug 2016 16:53:08 GMT
I’ve got multiple cents worth of opinions on this one, so bullet points (each worth 2¢):

Persistent UUID is (IMNSHO) anti-user and bad for privacy. I’ve yet to see a good reason
why this would be a good thing to support, and I’m glad Apple doesn’t let apps get it
anymore. As such, I’m OK with the device plugin not guaranteeing an immutable identifier.
I don’t like lots of inconsistency between platforms, though. So for the same reason I’d
vote -1 for device.uuidForVendor as iOS only is the same reason I don’t like the fact that
UUID currently behaves differently across platforms.
But I don’t like adding lots of code and using keychain to fix that. Not everyone who uses
device is going to need the keychain, and so (for the vast majority of dev), this seems like
wasted code and bytes.
So my hope would be this: device.uuid gets deprecated and goes away eventually. This results
in less inconsistency between platforms, and removes an anti-user tracking mechanism in the
process. Should someone need it, well… they can create a plugin for it.
Somewhat related: what’s device.serial used for? Since it supports only Android & OS
X, perhaps it should also go away?

~ Kerri