cordova-dev mailing list archives

From Joe Bowser <bows...@gmail.com>
Subject [Android] FileProvider Hell
Date Tue, 26 Jul 2016 17:18:56 GMT
Hey

It looks like we're hit by this change in Android, which makes it so that
we can no longer use file providers.  There's an easy fix, but it's not a
pretty one.  We're going to have to add Android-Compat as a dependency for
Cordova.  This is really bad, and could cause a lot of things to screw up
horribly when it comes to third party plugins that also use this as a
dependency.

https://inthecheesefactory.com/blog/how-to-share-access-to-file-with-fileprovider-on-android-nougat/en

A part of me is temped to think that the Android team did this on purpose
to try and break Cordova, since content providers and content URIs aren't
even remotely valid uses of the web and we've been dealing with broken
content providers ever since we started.  I personally hate this, but it's
the only way we can move forward at all.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Joe