cordova-dev mailing list archives

From Richard Knoll <rikn...@microsoft.com>
Subject RE: Proposal: Change Android Project Directory Structure to Android Studio style
Date Tue, 17 May 2016 21:53:13 GMT
We have a lot of plugin.xml elements that depend on the old file structure. Tags like config-file,
source-file, resource-file, etc. all have target elements that take arbitrary paths to project
files. Looking at the new project structure, it seems like most of the relevant folders have
moved around. Does your proposal handle that or do plugins need to update to reflect the new
structure? I figure there isn't much we can do for plugins that use hooks.

Richard

-----Original Message-----
From: Joe Bowser [mailto:bowserj@gmail.com]
Sent: Tuesday, May 17, 2016 2:07 PM
To: dev <dev@cordova.apache.org>
Subject: Re: Proposal: Change Android Project Directory Structure to Android Studio style

On Tue, May 17, 2016 at 2:01 PM, Parashuram N <panarasi@microsoft.com>
wrote:

> I think the proposal is great. Our gradle is pretty big, and it does
> make sense to just do the defaults.
> +1 (personally speaking) to this – will save soo much of my time as I
> depend on this for my react-native-cordova-plugin adapter. Your
> changes will make life so much easier ☺
>
> How do the plugins break? Will plugins have to make change? In a way,
> it may make sense to do this with big changes at Google I/O – that
> way, we just have 1 breaking change, and plugin authors have to look
> at the changes just once.

Ideally they shouldn't break, but I can't guarantee that.  I do have to change how plugins
are installed in the Android cordova scripts, but the cordova-common work abstracted all that
out and made that easier.  A user who hasn't tweaked their app shouldn't notice the difference.

That said, the users who have may notice stuff, and I have no idea how Crosswalk would work
with this yet.  It'd be good to work with them once we have something more working.