cordova-dev mailing list archives

From Joe Bowser <bows...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Users mailing list
Date Fri, 29 Apr 2016 18:40:35 GMT
On Fri, Apr 29, 2016 at 10:05 AM, Nikhil Khandelwal <nikhilkh@microsoft.com>
wrote:

> I’m hearing two purposes of a user list:
> - Key announcements
> - Self-help for users
>
> I’m not totally convinced that slack + stack overflow are not sufficient
> for finding resources & common answers for cordova issues. Creating another
> channel will just fragment the community.

I would love to suggest Stack Overflow only because social voting tends to
elect the most correct answer.  I personally hate mailing lists for trying
to figure out how to use something because the answer gets buried way too
deep. I think that the main reason I would like to see a user list is
because

> FWIW, our blog got about 50K pageviews for all blog entries (and blog
> listing) in the last month or so. That’s very low compared to over a
> million hits on our docs. I agree that we need to find better ways to reach
> out to users with key announcements. Perhaps the blog needs to be improved
> – write more engaging content, find opportunities for guest posts (cross
> posting – Raymond?), have an option to subscribe for notifications to it.
> We’ve added disqus to our blogs already – but we need to probably route the
> disqus comments to the “dev” list or slack to ensure enough people get to
> see it and we respond to those comments.

Do we know which part of our docs are getting the most hits?  I honestly
don't think that generic announcements are the best way to reach out to
users, but that would mean that we change how we use the blog, and that we
decide on what content we should post to it.  Right now, I'm pretty happy
with it just being announcements.

On a related note, we might want to consider a user list for plugin
> developers. In particular, we need to have conversations and discussions
> about breaking changes, design discussions etc. with this highly important,
> smaller target audience. There is no targeted forum for these developers
> currently.

That should be happening on this list, but this list gets flooded with
people looking for answers for their Cordova problems instead, which may be
why we need a users list, since we're already kinda fractured. :/

-Nikhil