cordova-dev mailing list archives

From Joe Bowser <bows...@gmail.com>
Subject [Android] Library Project/AAR alternatives to current plugin situation
Date Wed, 06 Apr 2016 21:52:23 GMT
Hey

I recently looked at how native Android developers could use the current
Cordova code with their projects, and I've noticed that there's some major
problems with our current approach of just copying the Java classes into a
project, such as resources getting merged together, and other related
issues, so I created a project that instead uses the InAppBrowser source as
an Android Library instead of just code thrown over the wall.

The main advantage of this approach is that we can now build the library as
an AAR and distribute the plugins and the platform using jcenter and
mavenCentral and allow more Android developers to be able to use Cordova in
their apps and make their apps more hybrid.

Anyway, the example code is here.

https://github.com/infil00p/Library-Dev-Project

I used a Cordova application to demonstrate this, but I could have easily
used a vanilla Android project.  Hopefully this also allows for certain
plugins like the InAppBrowser to be a lot more managable and will also
allow us to add more unit tests to our projects.

Any thoughts on this approach versus our current one?