cordova-dev mailing list archives

From Joe Bowser <bows...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Can we please kill the Battery Plugin on Android
Date Tue, 08 Mar 2016 06:09:17 GMT
On Mon, Mar 7, 2016 at 10:00 PM, Nikhil Khandelwal <nikhilkh@microsoft.com>
wrote:

> What's our deprecation policy? Should we log a deprecation message before
> remove this support. What alternatives do Cordova developers have - are
> there other plugins which provide the equivalent functionality - perhaps
> with a better API - as opposed to polling events every 1% battery drop.

Our regular deprecation policy is six months, but I think we should bypass
that because our Battery Plugin on Android is harmful and will kill the
battery in two hours if left running.

Chrome 38 has support for the W3C Battery API, but there's still not an
option for people stuck on 4.4 or below other than to use Crosswalk.  The
thing is that a size penalty is still better than a battery that actually
drains the battery of the phone.

You could do a scaled-down API where it only sends an event when the
battery is at 15% and has no meta information, but it wouldn't be
compatible with the W3C and I remember criticizing the W3C spec as being
unable to be implemented in Cordova by itself, since the Android SDK
requires us to subscribe to an event manually that is never meant to be
subscribed to.  AFAIK, the community hasn't created a third party battery
plugin that works.  I don't want us to keep distributing a plugin that is
so completely broken that it's harmful for users.  I don't care how many
developers use it, since they're obviously not testing their applications.