cordova-dev mailing list archives

From Joe Bowser <bows...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [Android] CB-8976, CB-8453 and is there anyone building multiple APKs
Date Wed, 02 Mar 2016 20:57:55 GMT
OK, so, I'm dealing with this code, which pisses me off to no end:

    if (Boolean.valueOf(cdvBuildMultipleApks)) {
        productFlavors {
            armv7 {
                versionCode defaultConfig.versionCode + 2
                ndk {
                    abiFilters "armeabi-v7a", ""
                }
            }
            x86 {
                versionCode defaultConfig.versionCode + 4
                ndk {
                    abiFilters "x86", ""
                }
            }
            all {
                ndk {
                    abiFilters "all", ""
                }
            }
        }
    } else if (!cdvVersionCode) {
      def minSdkVersion = cdvMinSdkVersion ?:
privateHelpers.extractIntFromManifest("minSdkVersion")
      // Vary versionCode by the two most common API levels:
      // 14 is ICS, which is the lowest API level for many apps.
      // 20 is Lollipop, which is the lowest API level for the updatable
system webview.
      if (minSdkVersion >= 20) {
        defaultConfig.versionCode += 9
      } else if (minSdkVersion >= 14) {
        defaultConfig.versionCode += 8
      }
    }

So, right now if you're not using Crosswalk at all, your default version
code will be 18 instead of 1, and 28 for the second version if you aren't
using Crosswalk.  I can see why people would build multiple APKs per
architectures, but if you're building multiple APKs for different versions
of Android, we've all done something wrong and we never asked for this
feature to be added to Cordova.  The whole point of Cordova is to work
across multiple platforms, and that does include multiple versions of
Android.

However, since this stupid code was added back in 4.0.x, I'm wondering if
anyone is relying on this code before I rip it out and have version codes
mean exactly what they're supposed to mean.  That means that when you build
and release your first app without using Crosswalk, your application
version code will be 1.  Not 18, not 19, but 1.  Then when you build
another version, that version will be 2, and so on.

What do people think of this code going away?  Crosswalk will probably have
to have the different version codes, since I think us defining a system
could work better than leaving this up to the user and having things go
horribly sideways when people are trying to keep track of whether they
released an arm or x86 binary, since we already decided to take
responsibility for this.

So, feedback on this would be good.