cordova-dev mailing list archives

From Shazron <shaz...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] 'cordova platform update' alias for rm, add in cordova-ios
Date Sat, 19 Mar 2016 01:34:32 GMT
Another issue: we still document the non-CLI way to update projects.
This was brought to my attention in a comment [1] in CB-10775.

The platform specific way is still mentioned [2], and update
instructions for iOS [3] and android [4] still exist.

I think we should not have any more "update" docs that don't involve
the CLI. What do you think?

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CB-10775?focusedCommentId=15200735&page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels:comment-tabpanel#comment-15200735
[2] https://cordova.apache.org/docs/en/latest/guide/overview/index.html#development-paths
[3] http://cordova.apache.org/docs/en/latest/guide/platforms/ios/upgrade.html
[4] http://cordova.apache.org/docs/en/latest/guide/platforms/android/upgrade.html

On Wed, Mar 16, 2016 at 7:44 AM, Carlos Santana <csantana23@gmail.com> wrote:
> yep  I agree Julio about adding more power to config.xml, that's basically
> what Mike's hook those allow <config-file> tag in config.xml
>

> On Wed, Mar 16, 2016 at 10:23 AM julio cesar sanchez <jcesarmobile@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> I like Jesse's proposal
>>
>> for #3 I think we should use a new command, I like cordova *downgrade*
>> platform
>>
>> As I usually read most cordova questions on stackoverflow, most people is
>> editing and tellign others to edit the .plist manually and doing some other
>> manual changes. I always point them to use hooks or plugins to do that, but
>> as it's harder they don't want to do it.
>>
>> BTW, I think we should add a way to write on the AndroidManifest.xml and
>> info.plist from the config.xml as phonegap build does, using the
>> config-file tag. Right now it's possible to use the config-file tag on
>> plugin.xml but not on config.xml

>> > Here is an example [1] of hooks created by ionic team member extending
>> > config.xml to allow user to configure their native sdk settings allowing
>> > have platforms as build artifacts.
>> >
>> > This could be a start at looking at some basic configuration settings via
>> > hooks cordova provides or just in cordova tooling (i.e. platformAPI
>> parser)
>> >
>> > [1]: https://github.com/mhartington/cordova-config-utils

>> messy

>> > as
>> > feature

>> > an

>> > directory
>> > needs,

>> as
>> and
>> > folder

>> > on

>> community.
>> today
>> > can't

>> > "things")
>> > from an
>> > of
>> > the
>> > people
>> > can

>> > delete
>> address

>> panarasi@microsoft.com

>> > it
>> > we

>> all
>> > >>>> > >>

>> https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3a%2f%2fissues.apache.org%2fjira%2fbrowse%2fCB-10775&data=01%7c01%7cpanarasi%40microsoft.com%7c224926aef1e64b5a937008d34c4cc8af%7c72f988bf86f141af91ab2d7cd011db47%7c1&sdata=1VmIoBecXUp3dVIMCsRB2dy7PzdHzpvHH0CgXu05Nyc%3d

>> > well.

these previous

>> > versions,

the current
>> version
the previous
>> > versions
>> do a
However, this
>> does

>> purplecabbage@gmail.com>
mentioned, I would
>> like

is ideal in a world
we are really not
the update that
>> > Carlos
a developer the
>> chance
further and
>> suggest:

previous
>> > platforms/ios/
in the platforms
>> > folder.

latest ios version
to work unchanged,
>> > and
things like
>> ios-latest
>> > ->

ios' could be used
to semver ) or
>> should

--kill to do a
they want.

of platform artifacts
run ios@4.0.1'

always be the
>> latest
around.

<

I thought I'd chime
>> in
In theory I like the
>> idea
>> > of
reality -- at least
>> for
>> > my
this type of change
to live with that, but
to) "just in case"
>> > before

CLI) development on
>> iOS
full inventory of all of
>> > my
it is a combination
>> of:

the tools
for native analytics
hosted
are far simpler to
file to support
>> universal
to the plist to

of us who may be doing

update' alias for
>> rm,

command since it
>> was
upgrade. meaning

lot of people that got
terms of changing
>> XCode
able to support ipad
>> pro
to mix web and
>> > native
inside native view
or target in XCode

or generate all this

 projects where they
>> > can
as 100% build artifact
>> > that
easy

to only touch the
not touched that's why

problems with 4.1.0 for

to major version,
>> meaning
is not OK.

platform update"
and create a zip
>> with a
was destructive and user
files
>> checked-in/backup

move forward with this

Compilers

2:34 PM
>> >"
>> > <
platform update' alias for

never work. Better to

Steven Gill <
wrote:

> [...]
Would this cause

Shazron <
>> shazron@gmail.com

>> https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3a%2f%2fissues.apache.org%2fjira%2fbrowse%2fCB-10775&data=01%7c01%7cpanarasi%40microsoft.com%7c224926aef1e64b5a937008d34c4cc8af%7c72f988bf86f141af91ab2d7cd011db47%7c1&sdata=1VmIoBecXUp3dVIMCsRB2dy7PzdHzpvHH0CgXu05Nyc%3d

update" does its own

ios@version" to be